Thursday, December 9, 2010

Deep Thoughts From Heather: How did you take it?

Warning: This does in fact contain "deep thoughts" so if you're not into that, don't read any further ;) Cause after all blogs are about showing off and making everyone jealous of my "way awesome life" haha so read my other posts if you're looking for that ;) Anyway, I have been a little bit of sour puss, grumpy face, angry face (thanks Kristen), and all around downer lately. Well, this probably isn't a surprise to most people who know me well. Rolling with the punches has never been my strong point. When things get hard, I tend to whine and complain about it and give excuses for why I didn't succeed or why you should feel so bad for me cause my life is sooo very hard. Sadly, life is a little bit more complex that it used to be and the difficulties that I don't respond well to have moved beyond my hair not turning out all right and staying up til 3am to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles for AP English and still not finishing... Well, when I woke up this morning feeling gloomy and depressed this poem came to my mind. I have to say thank you to Mr. Bradford for making me memorize it in 6th grade. I have changed the title from (How did you die? to the earlier line "How did you take?" -cause thankfully, I'm not dead yet ;)

Did you tackle the trouble that came your way

With a resolute heart and cheerful?

Or hide your face from the light of day

With a craven soul and fearful?

Oh, a trouble's a ton, or a trouble's an ounce

Or a trouble is what you make it.

And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,

But only how did you take it?

You are beaten to earth? Well, well what's that?

Come up with a smiling face.

It's nothing against you to fall down flat,

But to lie there-that's disgrace.

The harder you're thrown, why the higher you bounce;

Be proud of your blackened eye!

It isn't the fact that you're licked that counts;

It's how did you fight and why?

And though you be done to death, what then?

If you battled the best you could;

If you played your part in the world of men,

Why the Critic will call it good.

Death comes with a crawl, or comes with a pounce,

And whether he's slow or spry,

It isn't the fact that you're dead that counts,

But only, how did you die?

Deep thoughts eh? Now what I got out of it... So I can take what life throws at me and "take it" well or I can drown in self-pity. It's a sink or swim moment. Well sort of, I've tired sinking for the past while and it doesn't really work, you get a lot of water up your nose and don't go anywhere. So, it's time to swim. I have been given so much. It's time to be a little more grateful. I have been given a lot of talents. It's time to use them (instead of focusing on what I can't do and can't change). Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment